A Guide To Musculoskeletal Pain: Types, Symptoms & Treatment
Pain originating from muscle, bone, ligament and tendon are all examples of musculoskeletal pain. This discomfort might be felt in only one part of your body, such as your back, or throughout the whole body. Musculoskeletal pain can be acute, which means it occurs suddenly and without warning, but may not persist for long. Alternatively, the discomfort might be ongoing and long-lasting, or referred to as chronic pain.
In this guide to musculoskeletal pain, we discuss the types of musculoskeletal pain, causes, symptoms, and treatment.
An overview of the types of musculoskeletal pain
The most common types of musculoskeletal pain include:
· Muscle pain: Usually caused by a muscle injury or overuse. Muscle spasms and cramps are common types of muscle pain.
· Joint pain: Typically an aching and stiff discomfort that feels like your joints are grinding against one other, generating a heated throbbing sensation.
· Tendon and ligament pain: Tendons and ligaments are tissue bands that link joints and bones in the body. This type of pain is usually due to strains, sprains or torn muscles arising from an unnatural or sudden movement that causes the ligaments and tendons to stretch or tear.
What causes musculoskeletal pain?
Anyone of any age can suffer from musculoskeletal pain.
One of the most common causes of musculoskeletal pain is the over usage of certain muscles. For instance, sitting at a desk for prolonged hours with improper posture will aggravate the back muscles and result in shoulder, lower back and neck pain (tech neck).
It is also possible to develop musculoskeletal pain if you participate in sports. Inadequate stretching, overexertion, and sports injuries are all possible causes of musculoskeletal discomfort, which results in stress and tension in your muscles, joints, and tendons.
Common symptoms of musculoskeletal pain
Musculoskeletal discomfort manifests itself in a variety of ways for each person. It primarily depends on whether an injury or an overused muscle caused it. Another element that influences your pain is whether it is acute or persistent.
However, listed below are some of the common symptoms many people experience when dealing with musculoskeletal pain:
· Stiffness and aching in the muscles
· Experiencing a burning sensation in the muscles
· Experiencing the feeling of pulled, tired or overworked muscles
· Muscle spasms or twitching
· Experiencing pain that worsens with movement
· Sleep disturbances that may lead to sleep deprivation
· Cracking or popping sounds in the joint
Musculoskeletal pain treatment at Affinity Pain Clinic
If you are suffering from musculoskeletal pain, it is recommended that you seek professional medical help. Here at Affinity Pain Clinic, we are a pain management clinic offering treatment for a wide range of pain conditions, including, sports injury treatment and nerve pain treatment in Singapore.
We strive to use the most up-to-date, evidence-based therapy and be cost-effective for all of our patients. With our team of skilled and seasoned professionals, you can rest assured knowing that you will have a quick and comfortable recovery.
To schedule an appointment or for further enquiries, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org today.